Join the team at Northwood Recovery.
Position: Registered Practical Nurse - Peterborough
Job Location: Peterborough, ON
Hours: To be determined.
Posting Date: Friday, 13 April 2018
A Registered Practical Nurse at the Northwood Recovery Peterborough location.
- Provide counselling and medical care to methadone and/ suboxone patients
- Dispense methadone and/or suboxone under medical directives
- Perform daily urine drug screening
- Work under medical directives to interpret laboratory test results, urine results, etc.
- Assist in the development of policies and procedures and medical directives as it applies to the nursing practice
- Maintain client electronic and paper records/files according to policies and procedures of Northwood Recovery and the Standards of Practice set out by the College of Nurses.
- Educate clients regarding harm reduction, safer drug use, STIs, Hep C and HIV/AIDS prevention, sexual abuse/assault, life skills, sexuality, birth control, abortion, pregnancy
- Ensure clients are complying with the client agreement
- Assess mental and physical health status of clients and take appropriate action
- Provide pre and post-test counselling for HIV, Hep A, B, C and syphilis
- Assess abscesses, clean and medicate wounds and apply or changes dressings
- Compose and sign correspondence in relation to clients' needs and advocate for clients when liaising with doctors, pharmacists, prison authorities, laboratories, etc.
- Provide immediate care in crisis situations and perform first aid treatment as necessary.
- Assess needs of clients, make referrals for primary care and social services, and assist clients in accessing community resources
- Work with clients to develop and promote improved health, coping and social skill
- Collect and maintain statistical information for evaluation purposes
- Collaborate and liaise with members of the team and community agencies to identify health needs and participate in the development of plan to meet those needs.
- Current License as a Registered Practical Nurse in the Province of Ontario, in good standing
- Up to date First Aid/CPR
- Experience working in addiction, mental health and harm reduction
- Experience in the provision of drug treatment/addiction counselling, suboxone, methadone, social, health, housing and Hep C, HIV/AIDS related services
- Experience with using OTN (video conferencing)
- Experience working in an outreach capacity
- Ability to work independently with no medical staff support and establish priorities.
- Sensitivity, empathy, and understanding of client/patient behavior and needs with the ability to counsel patients/clients through the development of therapeutic relationships
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent computer skills
- Excellent assessment skills
- Knowledge of HIV/AIDS and Hepatitis prevention and treatment issues.
- Knowledge of addiction issues
- Knowledge of harm reduction practice
- Knowledge of drug treatment, social, housing, HIV/AIDS related programs and services
- Awareness of issues relating to sex works, addictions, mental health and homelessness
- Thorough knowledge of Hepatitis including transmission, prevention and treatment options
- Proven ability to work as a member independently
- Ability to work flexible hours, which may include evenings and weekends
- Maintain inventory and ensure inventory is properly stored
- Practice sterile techniques and other infection control procedures to minimize the transmission of infection
- Ability to perform all medical secretary/receptionist duties.
A Police Reference Check may be required as a condition of employment. For more information on Northwood Recovery, please visit our website at www.northwoodrecovery.ca
If you are looking to gain more experience and lend your talent and expertise to the medical sector, then we want to hear from you. If you think that this position is right for you, please fill out the application form below.